sexta-feira, abril 23, 2004

Slug Interview

(...)
-But how do you deal with it on a personal basis because when I saw you perform, people were literally worshipping you and how can you, as a human being, cope with that?

-I think that it’s not really me. I think that it’s a piece of themselves that they might see in me. And if that’s the case, I appreciate it because really what they’re doing is using me to establish their own identities. It doesn’t necessarily even have to be me man – it could be a fucking Van Gogh painting or anything man! I think that a lot of people latch onto certain arts to help define their own individuality and really whatever they latch onto is just an accident. I’m just an accident for them – it could have been anything; it could have been an actor, it could have been a movie, it could have been somebody else’s record. I think that what you get is…well for me it’s a good thing because it enables me to collect more resources and responsibilities to further the plight of the family that I’m working with (which is Rhyme Sayers). But in the end, I don’t take it for granted; I take it for what it is and try to embrace it. And when I talk with fans one-on-one or one-on-five or whatever, I try to keep that in the front of my mind to know that, you know what? It’s not really me that’s important here. What’s important here is you and you or your fans and I’m just another vehicle for you to find yourself through. You know, I did the same thing as a kid. When I was like fifteen-sixteen, it was all about KRS-ONE and Big Daddy Kane and I established my identity through them. I lived vicariously through them and through their stories and through their words. And so it’s no different than now. I was one of those freaks who idolised KRS-ONE to the point where I was in the mirror rapping his words as if they were my own. So I completely understand it. I don’t think I’m the important element in that equation, I think that what’s important there is that particular individual and whatever it is that they’re hungry for that brought them to me or people like me.

(...)